Mini

Top: Project Social T via Poshmark | Skirt: American Apparel Factory Flea Market | Backpack: Fjallraven Re-Kanken Mini

photography by Kathryn McSherry

This lil’ yellow backpack was one of my favorite Christmas gifts this year. I have long been a fan of Fjallraven backpacks, Kanken’s specifically, and finally bought myself a blue backpack for school last summer. A week after I bought it (and after a year of thinking about it), Fjallraven announced it’s Re-Kanken collection – a backpack collection made of recycled plastic bottles. Not only are the backpacks made from yarn made from recycled plastic bottles, but it’s dyed with natural dyes and is spin dyed, meaning it uses less water, energy and chemicals than normal Fjallraven backpacks. Swoon. It would be an understatement to say that I was upset that they decided to release that collection the week after I bought my backpack. The good thing was, I loved my normal sized Kanken that I wanted a mini, too, for hiking and exploring and sunsets on the beach (like in these photos).

The mini’s surprisingly fit quite a bit of stuff – a water bottle (re-usable, of course), my Canon camera and my Polaroid, and even my baseball hat on top of all that. It’s small but mighty, and will definitely go through some good wear and tear. Welcome to the fam, lil’ one; you’ll fit right in.

P.S. I’m taking name suggestions

Share:

7 Comments

1. Dorothy Olson
    December 27, 2016 / 5:45 pm

Love it all

• tunesandtunics
      December 27, 2016 / 7:30 pm

Thanks!!

• tunesandtunics
      January 2, 2017 / 9:38 am

Thanks so much Erin!

2. Ashley
    December 22, 2017 / 11:00 am

Hi!!! I love this post! I am currently thinking about getting a re-kanken, and am wondering how the material is different compared to the classic? Your post also made me consider a mini size instead 🙂

• tunesandtunics
      December 22, 2017 / 11:03 am

Omg I am so glad to hear you’re thinking of getting a re-kanken! The material feels a bit more like fabric, whereas the normal kanken material feels a bit more plastic-y if that makes sense? Both bags are somewhat difficult to clean, but I think the re-kanken is a little more difficult because of it’s more woven feeling fabric. I hope this helps! I love my mini re-kanken much more than my regular sized kanken!

• Ashley
        December 22, 2017 / 1:42 pm

That does help, thank you! I love my classic Kanken too and use it every day, but find the fabric a little stiff and was hoping the re-kanken might be a little softer. I am also petite and even the classic feels a little big at times. I love the way the mini fits you in these photos, so thanks for posting all of them!